In July of 1952, Rev. Odell McGlothian, a native of Valden, Mississippi, his wife, Sister Gloria McGlothian, Sister Annie Ruffin, and one other individual met at 1436 North Third Street and formed a mission. Later that year, after increasing its membership, the Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church was licensed by the National Baptist Sate Congress. In July 1955, Mount Carmel moved to its present location at 1717 West Meinecke Avenue. The church continued to grow and prosper under the leadership of Rev. McGlothian, but even bigger changes lay ahead. In 1957, Rev. McGlothian was called to pastor a church in East Chicago, Indiana. After several months of prayerful searching, Rev. John H. Brent, then a member of the pastoral board at Metropolitan Baptist Church, was chosen to as the new shepherd of Mount Carmel.
Under Rev. Brent, the next thirty-five years saw Mount Carmel grow in both its mem bership and its ministries. Among the ministries added were the Deacon and Trustee Boards, the Sunday School, the Mission Department (including the Mothers Board, the Matrons, the Dorcas Circle, the Prison ministry and the Youth Department), the various Usher Boards, the Nurses Guild, and several choirs. In 1974 the original church building was torn down and replaced by a new edifice at our current location. The mortgage on that building was burned in 1983.
Although Mount Carmel continued to grow and prosper, 1989 brought sad tidings for Mount Carmel as Rev. Brent announced that he was stepping aside due to failing health. For only the second time in its history, the church would find itself searching for a new shepherd. In 1990, the Lord sent that new shepherd in the person of Dr. Hugh Davis Jr.
Under Pastor Davis leadership, the Church has continued to grow, as evidenced by the dedication of an addition to the current edifice in 1994 and the purchase of eight lots. Mount Carmel has consistently demonstrated its faith in action, not only through the continuous work of its existing ministries, but also by operating a food pantry, sponsoring an annual clothing and school supply give-a-way, creating a scholarship fund for high school graduates, and most recently by renovating the property next door to establish a senior housing facility.
Under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Odell McGlothian, Rev. John H. Brent and Rev. Dr. Hugh Davis, Jr., Mount Carmel has licensed and ordained twelve ministers and thirty deacons. Under the leadership of our current pastor Dr. Hugh Davis Jr. the following ministers have been ordained: Reverends Melvin Davis, Rev. Thomas Smallwood, Rev. Joe T. Williams, Rev. Joel Wade and Rev. Zebedee Wilson. Also under his leadership the following Deacons have been ordained, Kenneth Miller, Donald Little, Eddie Ballard, Edward Gill, Bobby Jackson, Anthony Brown, and Horace Jones
From Mount Carmel Missionary Baptist Church has come four other churches, they include: Holly Grove Baptist Church, St. John Baptist Church, Guiding Star Baptist Church, and St. Phillip Baptist Church.
As we look forward to the coming years, we pray that the Lord will continue to bless us as we strive to please Him in everything that we do.
WE Accept Paypal and credit cards for donations. You may also mail in a donation.